On the show this week: Mags gives us here recipe for Mince Pies (with Marmalade),
We hear about “Fruit Shrubs” to drink.
In Food News; How your mood and stress levels affect your digestion.
In Nature: It’s time for the Winter Garden Bird Survey and we hear about the Irish Fresh Water Mussel.
In the Garden there are some jobs to do this week, including:
– Plant up bulbs in pots for Spring Colour,
– Start a Mushroom Kit
– Spread Manure or Compost on Beds
– Plant Raspberry Canes
Mince Pies Recipe
- 450g Raisins
- 225g Sultanas
- 225g Currants
- 450g vegetarian Suet
- 500g Dark brown sugar
- 2 cooking apples, grated
- Grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 110g mixed peel
- 2 tablespoons marmalade
- 125ml whiskey
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl. Stir well and cover with a cloth
- Set aside overnight.
Pastry (Makes approx 24)
- 275g butter
- 450g plain flour
- 75g ground almonds
- 50g icing sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 20 -30ml milk to bind
- Combine the flour, almonds and sugar.
- Rub in the butter so the mixture looks like breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the centre and add the egg yolks.
- Stir gently, adding enough milk to form a dough.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Roll out the pastry to approx 3mm thick and cut into bases (larger circles) and top(smaller circles or stars)
- Grease the mince pie tin (bun tin) and gently line the tin with the larger circles. Fill with the mince meat. Dampen the edges with some water and place the top on. Firmly pinch to seal. Snip the top (If not stars) with a scissors to allow the air to escape.
- Brush with egg wash and bake in preheated oven (180°) for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Delicious eaten warm!
Listen on Mixcloud or download a podcast by clicking the ‘download’ link at the top of the page: