On the show this week we have recipes for Blackberries & Beetroot, both abundant at the moment.
We talk about the true cost of Free Range Eggs and how you can adopt a Beehive!
We hear from Kitty Scully about the upcoming Voxpro Urban Garden Festival in Cork.
In Nature Notes, it’s the Blackbird, one of our most common birds.
Makes approx 20
- 2 eggs
- 100ml natural yogurt
- 75ml sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 175g plain flour
- 50g oat flour (porridge oats blitzed)
- (If not using oat flour then use 225g plain flour)
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 100g wholemeal flour
- 100g brown sugar
- A few handfuls of fresh or frozen blackberries
- Set Oven at 180°. Line bun tins with paper cases.
- Whisk eggs, milk, yogurt, oil and vanilla in a large mixing bowl.
- In another bowl sift the flour, baking powder, bread soda and salt. Add the oat flour, wholemeal flour and sugar and mix.
- Fold the dry mixture into the wet ingredients. Stop as soon as it comes together. Do not over mix. Fold in the blackberries carefully.
- Divide the mixture into the bun cases and cook in the preheated over for approx 15 minutes.
- Cool on wire tray
There’s poetry and of course some jobs to do in the garden:
- Spray spuds for blight
- Mow wildflower meadows now to help scatter the seeds.
- Cut back leaves on grapevines to let the sun ripen the fruits
- Remove the lower leaves of cordon tomatoes up to the lowest truss, to let more light and air reach the fruits
- Harvest tomatoes, cucumbers and chillies regularly to encourage more fruits to form
- Sow green manure to fill any bare ground
- Keep deadheading border plants, unless you want to collect their seeds
Listen on Mixcloud or download a podcast by clicking the ‘download’ link at the top of the page: