I have no shortage of fallen leaves each Autumn and every Spring it’s amazing how much compost we get through with seeds and seedlings. Fortunately one is the solution to the other!
A Leaf Mould bin is a tidy, productive and environmentally friendly method of getting rid of unsightly leaves. There are numerous designs online but I have found that this one works well and it’s made from durable, widely available and not too expensive materials.
What you’ll need for your Leaf Mould Bin:
- a sheet of 2 inch galvanised mesh
- 4 square fence posts for each bin
- staples or nails.
To create the Leaf Mould bin
- Cut the sheet of mesh with an angle-grinder or bolt cutters to size. The one shown here will be 4 feet high and 3 feet on each side.
- Bend the mesh using a couple of planks and then sharpen the corners with a hammer.
- Attach the sides to the fence posts using the staples. I keep the posts slightly raised off the ground to prolong their life as it reduces rot.